Intro to GA and Consensus Process
Newcomers are welcome to introduce themselves if they like.
Reports back from volunteer groups:
Divestment march Nov. 4th 9am. Banks to be included on the march are J.P. Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Amegy Bank, and Wells Fargo. See the Events section for upcoming information on this event.
Some related points:
- need to put together a list of divestors
- credit unions will be available to open new bank accounts
- we need a list of credit unions on the website (please email this to info@)
Question: Can we get arrested?
Response: there will be an info sheet for those participating in the divestment action, with legal information, suggestions, etc.
Arrests are not anticipated. There is no reason to expect arrests / customers can go peacefully into banks and close their accounts. There is nothing wrong with this.
- good sustainability meeting today. Many great ideas, very exciting.
- Will be doing a mass clean up at 4pm everyday
- OK to have chairs on grass in the day, but no cardboard or sleeping stuff on the lawn during the day.
- No more styrofoam donations
- If hand-washing station reservoir is full, please dispose of it into the dirt containers.
- transparency regarding the sustainability projects – projects will continue to be documented online, etc.
- Urban Harvest – (who planted many plants at Tranquility) “let’s take care of the plants they planted, and they will help us.”
- Lots of sustainability projects coming up!
- Contact Shaun C. with ANY Sustainability issues, questions, etc.
- People’s Calendar -color-coded calendar of events (OccHou events, city events, national events, etc)
- Need volunteers for calendar
- Need a donor list (for donors who can contribute specific items repeatedly)
- Clean Sweep reminder
- work group meetings schedule is posted on white board. If you have a work group meeting post it on the board -board kept by Warehouse table.
- mosquitoes – everyone is free to use the repellant, but be sure to put it back onto the table a Medical. We need to conserve supplies, especially medical supplies.
- Need more Medical volunteers
- Good idea to send delegates to each volunteer group and see how they interact with each other, make notes toward improving inter-group communication.
Clay: Prepare to help stabilize people if/when the economy destabilizes
Announcement: $4 at Mango’s – live music tonight
Clean Sweep reminder- 9am, 12 noon food and music, etc.
Then at 3PM the protest against police brutality.
Isaac: guest speaker. Talked about Occupy Chicago’s main issue of still not fully/successfully occupying one location. Police presence in Chicago related to the upcoming Conference. Occupy Atlanta is steadily growing, big hip hop festival coming up.
announcement: Venus Project will come out if enough people gather
Eric: Sustainability related event –pre-proposal: 1 month anniversary of Occupy Houston + Eco Festival… will be making a proposal soon.
Darin: held signs over highway 59 w/ occupyhouston.org –had a very positive experience, recommends it. Had many positive responses.
Dorian: A very small amount of people could shut-down banks by having a small number of those willing to be arrested do sit-ins.
-need lists of people to be contacted by research committee / those who can’t (scribe’s note: welcome to OccHou! Im still trying to figure out the best way to direct gen inquiries to the various groups, let alone alone all the other facets of communication between the groups and the public who do not come out, etc. I sort of wait to see what each work group gives me as far as public and internal communication channels they prefer. Some like to use ‘groups’ like on google, others a listserv. When in doubt, post in the matching forum on the website, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Would love to hear your ideas and get help organizing these aspects!)
-are there go-to meetings to connect between occupy movements? (some info about existing groups was exchanged)
-no littering, no smoking, no fires, no peeing in park. Conserve supplies. Bring sleep supplies back to Warehouse in the morning / when finished.
Wendy: offered great printing deal : 2,000 full color newsprint copies for $200.
Proposal accepted: position for historian (one who records the actions and events etc of OccHou and related)
Eric: need volunteers he new shift system for the tables: Food, Medical, Warehouse
proposal of table shifts: 7-10am, 10-1, 1-4, 4-7, 7-10pm -ACCEPTED
Wendy: You’re all doing an awesome job. Don’t give up! Keep active, do even more!
John P: Food, clothing, shelter, and onto entertainment. Ideas about lightening up the movie lineup and having more variety in movies.
Clay: 5 minute presentation on the hidden history of the U.S. Specifically, Edward Bernays and his role in the modern advertising machine geared to dumb-down the people, not liberate them. Clay is willing to do teach-ins or answer questions about related topics.
Eric: Love you! Expressed concern and important of love and really tending to every aspect of life. Mentioned how the oldest living creatures on the planet, ancient nautiluses that are dying off, are a sign of really how bad we’ve let things get. But we need to realize what an important step we’re taking by coming out and showing support, participating in finding sustainable solutions that improve things for everyone, including the environment.
-Food Not Bombs serving food tonight!
-Eric is giving free hugs
Jeff: Shared informative stats related to Houston median income being significantly higher than national, and the position we have to take action. Doesn’t believe in an exploitable market ; those involved need to be held responsible. Added informative perspective on 3.5 billion spent on lobbyists. Interested in talking about related topics and ideas for reform.
Scott: response to litter announcement: Would prefer we assume our neighbors will litter. That’s what neighbors do. So instead of saying ‘Don’t litter’ maybe we can say “Let’s pick up our neighbors if/when they litter”.
Joe: propaganda / demographics – consider not giving info when asked to participate in marketing surveys.