General Assembly Minutes – Oct. 26, 2011

General Assembly Minutes – October 26, 2011 7:00pm
Approximately 49 in attendance.

Facilitators: Jeff
Stack Coordinator: V
Stackers: Em
Timer: Miguel
Scribe: Jeremy
Moderator: Evan
Guest Speaker: Dr. Che – talking about his experiences as a revolutionary

Volunteer Group Announcements:
Logistics / Vera: White boards at info table are complete, no littering in the park, no smoking in the park, no fires in the park, no restroom activity in the park pick up your sleeping stuff in the morning, we need more workshops, we need more ppl in volunteer groups. All lists are by the info table.
Diversity / Ben: Continuation meeting after GA, KPFT Radio Air Waves needs people to go on the air with clear voices. At 8:50pm Monday.
Sustainability / Seamus: We have seeds! Went to farmers market to spread the word. Food goes in the compost bucket not in the metal bins, we will start pushing to get more solar panels. Need more car batteries. Need anything and everything that produces or holds electricity.
Outreach / Erick and Maria: Maria – Corporate House of Horrors, 7-10 this saturday, needs six actors, got volunteers they need to get make up saturday at 5, 4 projectors going need help learning about that, more large pieces of cardboard, need help painting tombstones, Haunt Wall Street sunday 5-8, walk to wells fargo for open mic poetry, etc. Erick – Joe added 600 on face book for the corporate house of horrors, bowling, Denny started occupy streets, 7-2 fridays and mondays going out to get interviews from ppl on busses, streets, etc. nov.12 national sleep out Saturday. Student walk out day 11.11.11. still waiting to see if John Carlos is coming out. Please hold signs while you’re smoking. We need donations, money, food supplies, etc. Has Michael Moore confirmed coming to Houston, Nov. 4th Divestment march same day.
Grievance Assessment / Trey: there are a couple of work groups that need to be started, 1. list of grievances – point is to collect a list of grievances 2. more specific work group for supplies. Supply – to address different work groups to keep up with specific supplies needed by those work groups.
Finance / Jenny: Working on a financial report. Looking for where to put up the bank account with a credit union, looking for setting up NPO, trying to get things set up. Need food donations, please we need food. Ask to get a volunteer to go over to Whole Foods to get left over foods after closing. Sunday at 4pm is the meeting.

Personal Announcements:
Craig: Occupy Oakland, 24 year old Iraq Veteran in the hospital, their camp was broken on Monday night and back up on Tuesday, marching tonight. Others are marching as well in solidarity.
Dr. Che: Drove a taxi cab, need a ride? I he will take you. If you need rides from the airport taxi cabs they will help. Can get some donations for first aid and food.
Hamza: second time speaking here, fundraising director, spare time starting donation collection for Occupy Houston. Starting a fund Raising workgroup. Tool box that has evolved into a donation box. One for outreach and one for sustainability. Lacks secure fastener
Eric: Occupy Wall Street Journal – Dividing their papers into two one for NY and the other National. They are looking for 9 cities one is Houston. Big part of a log term sustain movement. Encouraging ppl to take up responsibility for this. Need storage, distribution, shipment to other places not printed. Need a workgroup for all this.
Ally: parking meters that have new signs that say you need a permit to park. Park in the city annex parking lot
Trey: New papers, keep in mind there is an info table, we need solar panels because we don’t have city power anymore. Open mic poetry at 316 main at 10pm and free radicals performing at 11pm next door.

Proposals:
Burk: decided to try to get a permit for us, will ask for tents and electricity, may damage our reputation with the city, it will cost $50 to file it whether denied or accepted, talk about injunction if the permit is denied. Permits are time limited may ask for indefinite or extremely long period of time on permit this is the reason it will likely be turned down. 17 votes to vote now 19 votes to table
Evan: No one person should be leader, and no one should have sole knowledge of usernames and passwords for twitter. Want a new twitter account officially for Occupy Houston. If we don’t get access to them we should get a new one. 4 BLOCKS – 1.the proposal is not what it seems, evan has a particular view on what should be done with media. 2.we should force authority of GA to create an account or share the account information. 3. Occupy Houston get an alt twitter account. – Tabled!

Opinions:
DAVID FROM OCCUPY SEATTLE : Message: official unofficial : had problems with the police, had some arrests. Incident on thursday a native american came into west lake park and prayed, kneeled down on a blanket (cops not letting blankets because it’s cold and wet) told the native american he had to stop for there are no blankets allowed. Broke GA and started yelling you’re violating his 1st amendment rights, and it worked, they released the native american. Love and solidarity from Seattle no matter how tough the day to day gets always try to step back and see the big picture unfolding, gain reassurance and morale from our brothers and sisters standing united with us all over the world for a better tomorrow, keep smiling because the sound of your long held voices is beautiful, with love occupy seattle.
Caleb from Occupy Austin: Talked about how he became interested in Occupation cause. The work to become self sufficient is very important. Brings some project information, reaching out to those trying to start a business or looking for financial information, come find him.
Erica: sometimes during the day I find it overwhelming what all needs to be done and in those moments I think of what it is I want to do, which is to ends corporate domination of the world and to care for the earth I like that we teach so much to each other I have one question I want to discourage the use of the word occupation because we are against occupation throughout the world this isn’t occupy as in what color is your occupy? One question one week ago, I heard there was going to be a vigil for people that have lost their loved ones through alcohol and drug abuse, I went looking for them and I think it changed location because something else was happening, I want to find out if anyone is still doing this, and I would like to do it, and the reason I think it is important because that way we can work with our pain in the context of our struggle.
Erick – who thinks authoritarianism is wrong? Capitalism is inherently authoritarian, Media issue, actually have a discussion about wether or not the GA can agree with what’s going out on the twitter then we can vote on whether it needs to change or not. Facebook twitter and the website are all the face for occupy Houston, The GA has forgotten about the media, and we should talk about this and come with a solution for this at the next GA.
Trey – Read a letter from someone else. Dear group, in observing and talking amongst our co-members at occupy Houston some concerns have come up. Just because I can’t attend the GA doesn’t mean I am not a participant. We have begun to loose ppl because the group is becoming a political one with leaders that make decisions without consensus. Core members are being pushed away because of disrespecting of people in Occupy Houston.
Ryan – 1. want to put together an occupy application for cell phones, to talk and vote with other remotely. 2. operation rush hour 5 – 10 ppl at an over pass at 610 start as small as we need to, uniform shirts, masks, one message everyone can agree on to show those driving below. Everyday between 4-6pm 3. Operation Jokes on You, Since cops have come to put pressure on us in a weak moment, when we’re strong in numbers we plan to have a large number of us to pretend to do civil disobedience, then when it gets to culmination surprise the law enforcement with teddy bears and candy etc.
Wonderland – from self sustaining community. Willing to take risks? You can haz money. I am a traveler, and I have a system that gets monies, I’m cute!
Darren – Media work group meeting at midnight tonight.
Scott – Leadership, it happens, rotating leadership is important we should focus on it!
Artem – Rallies and marches everyday 4pm at random locations banks, oil company building, etc. main reason we don’t have numbers is because we don’t have rallies. We should do more.
Joe – Read a poem or letter to GA
Allison – Set up an email address for people to send a well organized email to so they can be read at GA or something to that extent.
Vera – we need to be more aggressive, be less quiet, I want more faces.
Trey – clarify we had 3 rallies not 2
Dr. Che – comments on revolution and gypsies
John – abolish all announcements proposals and everything just stacks
Em – someone ate cookies
Hamza– something about a festival
John – Thank food not bombs for the bread. Have so much food that needs to be cooked. Taking it to the house to cook it to get a semi vegan food not bombs cook out
Nick – Free Radicals free show at Deans tonight. Going to NY if you want to get info up talk to him.

Share