As passed on Wed, 14 Dec 2011, this GA was a special meeting specifically to discuss the schedule of future GA’s.
Sunday, December 18th, 2011
Attempts were made to start GA shortly after 7, but the attempts were preempted by the arrival of food and photo-ops with the impressive rocket bike.
Start Time: 7:45ish
Tom Weis (President of Climate Crisis Solutions) and Ron Seifert biked from Alberta, Canada to voice their concerns surrounding the Keystone XL pipeline (planned to run from the Tar Sands in Alberta, Canada to Houston) and ask for our support in protesting outside of 717 Texas St., at noon, tomorrow, December 19th.
- Tuesday, Dec. 20th, 7:00pm at Fitzgerald’s, event to protest new noise regulations.
- Joe Roache: Tuesday at 2pm, City Council regular session meeting. Get on stack by emailing email@example.com or 832-393-1100.
- Joe Roache: County Commissioners regular session meeting at 9am Tuesday
- Trey: Court event in Louisiana regarding red light cameras. federal judge blocked petition against red light cameras.
Special Session Opinions
Multiple views on the general assembly schedule, workgroup schedules, and ways to alert everyone of emergency g.a.’s.
Jorge describes march in Bellaire for immigrant rights and announces he will not be as involved as he is moving into a new house.
Special Session Proposals
We used a workgroup format to come up with the proposals. The strongly moderated system started with very broad choices from the opinions expressed and used simple majority with instant run off voting to determine the final proposal. True consensus was reached on the final proposals presented below.
1. General assembly twice a day, 7 days a week, 11am and 7:30pm on weekdays, and 11am and 5:30pm on weekends with workgroup proposals limited to Sunday and Wednesday evenings. PASSED*
2. Individual proposals required to pass through 2 concurrent g.a.’s before being adopted. PASSED*
3. Set a trial period for this schedule to last through January 31, 2012
General Assembly Schedule
weekdays: 11am and 7:30pm
weekends: 11am and 5:30pm
Changes to Proposal Process
Workgroup Proposal Limitations: Workgroups may only present proposals at the Sunday and Wednesday evening GAs.
Individual Proposal Process: Individuals may make proposals at any GA, however they must be approved by two concurrent GA’s before being officially adopted.
We agreed to try this through the end of January.
Regular Session Resumed
A vote was called to end the special session, which was unanimously passed. There was one point of business for the regular session, the following proposal (which passed):
Occupy Houston is soliciting anyone who will be willing to donate port-o-potties (preferably handicapped accessible), including any costs associated with permits and maintenance.
Everyone happily voted to adjourn the meeting around 11:30pm.
Comments, questions, and discussion: in this forum thread