Author Archive

General Assembly Minutes 4/1/12

Jamin-moderator

Shere-facilitation

Jenny-scribe

Craig-timer

22+ in attendance

New comer welcome, hand signals discussed

Announcements

Will- just took a position with the American Civil Liberties Union as a youth organizer. If anyone is interested, please get in touch

Craig- City Council Public Comment on Tuesday, flier with the phone numbers to call to speak out against the food ordinance, there will also be a Food Share Picnic in front of City Hall on Tuesday, Keep Food Sharing Free and Legal

Jenny- Occupy Houston will be having a benefit concert on Saturday, April 7th, at Last Concert Cafe, see the fb event for details, come out and have some fun and help support fellow Occupiers

Jamin- There are many 99% Spring Training events happening all over town. Good Jobs Great Houston will be holding a training session. Check online for details on event dates and times. These trainings are free.

Miguel- will be working to have a voter registration drive, not to push canidates, but to push issue voting

Don- Green Party Meet-Up every Monday at West Gray Cafe @7. Friday, local Green Party canidates will be meeting up @ West Gray Cafe, 7pm. Come out and enjoy great conversation and debate.

Jamin- Tuesday. April 3rd, after City Council Public Comment, meet up in front of the library for a May 1st Action Planning Meeting

Jamin- April 19th will be the Occupy the Machine action in Manchester. Please visit OccupytheMachine.org for more info.

Work Group Report Back

People of Color- several Occupy Houston members just finished an 8 week training seminar at the Center for Racial Healing. Delbert, Boosie, and Lisa have all graduated from this program. For more details, see Delbert.

Roccupy- Asking for support and people to come out tomorrow (April 2) for a meeting with the Freedmen’s Town Association. The hopes are to continue to work together with this FTA and receive an affidavit of resolution.

Stucture & Strategy- looking for more volunteers. If you’d like to get involved with this work group, please message Jane Same on facebook.  For more info, see the new OH wiki.  Contact or join by email:  SSWG@occupyhouston.org to send request to be added to the OH S&S WG facebook group.

Proposal

Finance- Jenny- Finance is proposing a new WePay account specifically to collect funds for bail and legal matters. POI; by bailing people out we feed the corrupt system, better people stay in jail and put a drain on the system, POI; by staying in jail, the jails make money off of the people in jail, so either way, the system gets fed more money. Restate proposal; Proposal Passed

Finance- Jenny- Proposal for $500 to have t-shirts made, hopefully in time for April 7th. This gets us 100 shirts, one color, one-sided. Q; Can we get them done cheaper? A; It seems to be the going rate everywhere we’ve called. POI; Selene might be able to help. Finance will contact Selene, but we are also in a time crunch for this first batch. Friendly Amendment; $500 is the initial allotment for shirts, and we will try our best not to need the entire amount. Proposal Passed

Jamin- Propose Occupy Houston get involved with the May 1st actions of a national General StrikeProposal Passed

Jamin- Propose that we endorse the 99% Spring Training, Q; does the 99% Spring training involve MoveOn.org or any other political endorsement groups? A; Yes, there are groups involved that do endorse specific parties, but the training does not lean towards any party politics nor is there any kind of money transfer. It is free, so you don’t have to worry about financially supporting any group or canidate. POI; It’s a good idea to get this training and use the FREE resources available to us. POI; we can find a way to work with groups without endorsing political agendas; Friendly Amendment; We endorse the spring training WITH a disclaimer explaining the endorsement and informing the public of our findings, FA accepted; Proposal Passed

Jenny- Propose next Sunday to be the next Strategy Meeting. POI; that’s Easter Sunday, Friendly Amendment; Change next Sunday’s GA to be a GA with focus on Strategy and moving forward, Amendment accepted; Proposal Passed

Share

Finance Meeting Minutes 2/21-2/25 2012

Finance Meeting Minutes 2/21- 2/25 2012

10 people in attendance

1. All Occupy Houston WePay, PayPal or any other donation accounts must first go through finance and then will be brought to GA for consensus. (GA approved 2/15/12) What are the official #OH accounts and do we have records of these?

-One official account; Occupy Houston WePay.

-We will work on getting printout statements of account

2. How do we get more (easier) access to WePay?

-Jenny will check into PayPal business account

3. Proposal that all financial proposals need to first come to finance work group in the form of email (occupyhoustonfinance@yahoo.com) or in writing, then finance will bring it to the GA once it is found to be workable in the budget.

Q- Is it permissible to bring reimbursements to finance?

A- Reimbursements still count, but realize GA still has the final say.

-passed-

4. Creating a budget- How much money comes in a month vs goes out a month

POI- Wouldn’t expect #OH to have any kind of normal budget due to not having regular expenditures.

Q-Ledgers and Transparency

A- Jenny has the cash ledger, Lief has the WePay ledger in the form of statement printouts

5. Fundraising

Jamin and Lief are both working on fundraising concerts to raise funds to help pay for $2600 in legal fees to collect evidence from D12 action. Lief working on itemized list.

-Check into shirt making

-set goals for fundraising and let the people know what exactley we are raising funds for

-Jenny will check into shirt making

6. Still need to formally accept offer from HPJC (as approved in xmas GA)

-Jenny having a harder time doing this than expected

-Ben will check into this

7. Thoughts on credit union account

-Mary and Ben will check into this

8. Proposal to ask Massoud to cut down cost for newspaper.

-Less color

-Less copies

-Really try to go ahead and ask him, again, to start his own Newspaper WePay account so we can start pushing this on the website.

-Ad sales in paper to help fund

-No need to cut down cost if Massoud raises his own money

****Finance consesus $400.00 is a reasonable amount that we can afford at this time. Still allowing Massoud to raise his own funds would help tremendously since we just do not receive that much in donations monthly. Also, we need detailed receipts for paper costs.****

Share

General Assembly Minutes 2/26/12

This GA started small as well, so we again opted for open discussion format. By the end, we had 25+ in attendance.

Work Group Report Back

Finance- Jenny- We just ended our first online Finance meeting. It went well. Proposals discussed and achieved. Talk of fundraising. The minutes should be posted soon. For finance questions; occupyhoustonfinance@yahoo.com.

Structure and Strategy- Jenny- The new OH wiki is underway and in the beginning development  stages. The goal is for it to be “Open Source” to the extent that active Occupiers and WG’s can input their own details, news and Minutes. We  are recruiting volunteers, who have sufficient skills for the job, to sign  up for the Wiki Task Force to help us build it and upload content.  CONTACT: Karen R or Mary W.

Announcements

Jenny- #F28- The agenda for the day begins at City Council Public Comment, 2:00. Use this time to speak against the various forms of oppression #OH has faced in these past few months. Different ideas include; eviction, police harassment, the changing of the Hermann Square hours, excessive charges against Occupiers, media falsehoods and exaggerations to make Occupy look bad, etc. From there we are going to gather at Hermann Square Park from 4:00-5:30. We rally @ 6:00, in Hermann Square Park.

Don- Green Party has started their meetings back up. West Gray Cafe, Mondays @7:00

Sandy- International Women’s Day Protest, March 10, 2:00pm, Post Oak and Westheimer. Meetings for this event are at Cafe Express on Kirby, Friday’s @7:00.

Jamin- #M1- March 1st Student walkout is shaping up to be a paramount day of action for the education community of Houston, TX, having already received the expressed support of the Rice Progressives, UH Students for a Democratic Society, TSU Urban Academic Village, University of California-Santa Cruz and students and professors of HCC. Tuesday, Feb 28 we will be mounting up for a final day of mass ‘flyer bombing’ at all schools (please email your name, number and availability to the address below) and on Feb. 29th we are calling all Occupiers, PTOs, PTAs, sororities, fraternities, alumni, student councils, teachers, professors, bus drivers, janitors, students and citizens to join us on your individual campuses to host your own press conference explaining why you’ve decided to participate on March 1st. On March 1st when you walk out of class/lunch/work, rally @ student center or flag pole (k-12) and students and faculty alike help facilitate the discussion ‘how we can create alternatives to the education system and when we can begin to implement them.’ Let’s do this together and say yes to comprehensive education for all, yes to taking full care of our educators including vacation time, yes to wholesome meal choices for all students and yes university-grade teachings without exorbitant student debt and unreasonably high campus book fees. ‘Say No To Business As Usual’ and on March 1st, Take Back Your Campus!

March 2nd- Agenda Planning Meeting for the March 4th Strategy Meeting

March 4th- Strategy Meeting- 2990 Richmond, 1pm-6pm

March 9th- Obama will be having his dinner here in town. Union Station @Minute Maid Park

Proposal

Alice- Harris County Jail Privatization, Call to Action. (will update this with more info soon) -passed-

Neil- From Massoud and Amy- Hold an Occupy Houston logo contest for t-shirts. -passed-

Jenny- Finance- All finance proposals need to first come through finance in writing or in email (occupyhoustonfinance@yahoo.com) and then the Finance WG will bring the proposal to the GA, if it can be fit in the budget. -passed-

Jenny- Propose to change GA’s to Monday and Thursday to allow for the strategy meeting and still have 2 GA’s a week. Also allowing other people to come out who might not be able to due to scheduling conflicts. -tabled-

Neil- Proposal to offer Occupy Cincinnati solidarity from #OH. -passed-

Opinions

Don- Temp check on co-hosting a Green Party Debate

Trae- TXRX is moving. Capital sends his love and sorry he missed the GA.

Jenny- So glad to see everyone here. I miss seeing my Occupy family everyday. Need to see your faces and I love ya’ll. Thanks for being here.

Consensus to Adjourn

Share

General Assembly Minutes 2/22/12

We started at 7:30 with a small quorum of 13. So instead of doing a formal GA, we consensed to an open discussion format. By the end, we had 20+ people.

Work Group Report Back

Finance- Jenny- We just started our first online finance meeting. Which is awesome. Finally, participation. For finance questions, you can email occupyhoustonfinance@yahoo.com.

Web-Jenny- Just got access to a wiki tab to update the website. Which brings it to….(see next report back)

Structure and Strategy- Jenny- S&S WG finally got the wiki links to update the website with the work group information from the Jan 7 WG event and the 30 day implementation period. We’ve been working hard to get all the info out to the public. Stay tuned and we should have all the email addy’s and work group addy’s easily accessible.

Feb 19th Report Back- Alice- The meeting went well. Values statement achieved. Next meeting will be on March 4.

Proposal

Shere- proposed a document for #OH to stand behind and post on our website and media outlets. More info to come. (she made copies, but we don’t have them to put in the minutes yet.) -passed-

Open Discussion

Discussion and feedback from last strategy meeting

Discussion of upcoming #F28 event-

-Idea to go in front of City Council during public comment that day

-Ideas on what we would like to see brought up to City Council

-Different forms of suppression Occupy is facing

Discussion of #M1 event and Student Walk-Out

(At this point, the scribe had to leave.)

Consensus to Adjourn

Share

Basic Work Group Guidelines for Occupy Houston

These guidelines were adopted by the Occupy Houston General Assembly on January 3, 2012.

1. To be considered active, all current Work Groups should:

A. Provide a public statement (mission statement) of goals, which does not conflict with the #OH principles of solidarity.

B. Publish contact info onto the #OH website. *working email required

C. Be based in Houston and have, at least, one open group meeting, at or near Tranquility Park, every other week. This meeting is to be listed on the #OH website. Changes to meeting time must be given at least 48 hours public notice, when possible.

D. Publish minutes of, at least, 1 meeting every other week on the #OH website. This meeting must demonstrate at least 2 in attendance. Work group will not be considered defunct until attendance has been less than 2 members for 4 weeks.

2. All new work groups must be announced of formation in the General Assembly.

Note: If, at any point, the GA consensus to alter or change the guidelines, all working groups will be given 30 days before implementation.

Implementation: These guidelines will take effect in 30 days, after passing consensus in the General Assembly.

Share

General Assembly Minutes 2/15/12

Work Group Report Back

Direct Action- Amy- Break-up with the Banks action went great. The cops and security wouldn’t allow the mic checks, they were on to us as soon as we walked in. But we made a lot of noise, passed out a lot of info and got into some great discussions.

Announcements

Shamus- I will be establishing the Houston Chapter of Iraqi Veterans Against the War.

Jenny- Occupy Houston will be joining up with Occupy Galveston for their Mardi Gras parade this Saturday the 18th. Meet @ Seawall and 25th at 6pm.

Shere- Occupy Houston was notified by Channel 2 that they wanted to do an interview with 3 occupiers tomorrow. It will air on Sunday the 19th.

Lief- Dodgeball report back, it went great, no one was arrested. Check Youtube for the video called Corporate Tax Dodgers Dodgeball at El Paso Corp. (I’m so sorry I didn’t get more details on this. I couldn’t hear due to the stupid library buzzer. -Jen)

Proposals

Jenny- Any WePay, PayPal or other donation accepting account that is created with the Occupy Houston name must first be approved through the Finance WG then Finance will then bring it up for approval in GA. -passed-

Amy- Propose that the Strategy Meeting on Sunday will take place as the Sunday GA. -passed-

Amy- Allow the Friday Planning Meeting to set the agenda for Sunday’s Strategy Meeting. -passed-

Will- Any banning of people from FB needs to go through the FB WG then be brought to GA for approval. -did not pass 9/4-

Lief- Propose to hold an event for Feb 29th for the Occupy the Corporations call to action. -passed-

Jenny- Propose to hold an event for Feb 28th for the call to action against the Mass Suppression of the Occupy Movement. -passed-

Opinion

Ray- stated opinions and ideas from a veterans standpoint.

Since there were no other opinions, there was a question about having an open discussion about the eviction and what is next. Consensus to wait and discuss these issues on Sunday.

Consensus to Adjourn

Share

General Assembly Minutes 2/8/12

Announcements

Jenny- Occupy Galveston has asked Occupy Houston to come out and march with them in the Mardi Gras parade Feb 11 and Feb 18. Stay tuned for details.

Jamin- Feb 29 is Occupy the Corporations. You can get on the planning calls through InterOccupy.

Ted- The last Wednesday of the month, on the 29th, there will be a teach-in on Roberts Rules of Order @ 2990 Richmond. It is a pay what you can teach-in.

Erika- This Saturday and Sunday there will be a teach-in by Lisa Fithian and Juniper. Check facebook for details.

Jenny- There are 2 new work groups forming. Structure & Strategy WG and Foreclosure Action WG. You can contact the Foreclosure Action Work Group on facebook. Just look up Occupy Houston Foreclosure Action. Stay tuned for more details on the S&S WG.

Proposal

Ted- Discussion about having another Strategy Meeting in March. Propose to meet up @ 2990 Richmond to have a pre-planning meeting on Feb 19, from 2-4pm. Be there on time b/c the doors will lock. -passed-

Jenny- Propose to move GA’s to Sunday and Wednesday, 7pm. -passed-

Jamin- Propose to have an event March 1st in solidarity with the National Day of Action regarding Occupy Education. The plan is to stage many school walk-outs. Planning meeting at Bohemeo’s Saturday at 6:30. -passed-

Share

Finance Meeting 2/1/12

Attendance; Jenny, Shere, Taryn, Joe, Vera, plus a few others and newcomers

Lumped in, again, with Logistics meeting, then the discussion continued into the GA

Questions over who is finance and where are the boxes. Boxes still in the same place, nothing has changed. They are still secure. Ledger shown to those in attendance. No money has come out.

Next Finance Meeting scheduled for Feb 5, with the logistics meeting.

Share