Author Archive

Finance Meeting 12/7/11

Rescheduled due to meetings regarding Direct Action, Next meeting 12/11/11.

Share

Finance Meeting 12/4/11

Jenny and Swim in attendance, no meeting, next meeting scheduled for 12/7/11

Share

Finance Meeting 11/30/11

Jenny and Swim in attendance, no meeting

Share

General Assembly 2/1/12

Shere- Moderator

Vera- Facilitator

Jenny- Facilitator/Scribe

Open Stack

15-18 in attendance

Work Group Report Back-

Logistics Report Back done in Proposal section

Political Action- Red Light Camera Proposal failed at City Hall. Houston City Council public comment, Tuesdays at 2:00.

Proposals-

Jenny- Propose to move GA’s to 2 nights a week, Sunday and Wednesday, 7:00. Also to propose keeping this schedule through Feb to see if it works better for #OH. -passed-

Jenny- Due to having to choose, many times, to go to work group meetings or GA, I propose that WG meetings do not get cross scheduled with the GA. Now that GA has been moved to 2 nights a week, this should be much easier to accommodate. -passed-

Jenny- Propose to stand in solidarity with the upcoming Anti-War with Iran March this Saturday, Feb 4. -passed-

Vera- Propose to move #OH to the park in front of the city court buildings (San Jacinto and Congress). Open for discussion…

-What is the point? I-Fest. Many volunteers already working on outlets for being involved with I-Fest.

-Do we loose city deed protection?- Unsure

-Harris County Sheriff vs. HPD

-Logistical issues

Blocked and Tabled, but continue open discussion…

-More beneficial to be evicted rather than just leave

-Symbolism of Tranquility

-Logistical issues of non-participants

-Why it is hard for some to actually participate

-How do we create a compassionate and self-sustaining community?

-How Los Angeles dealt with their issues.

-Good Neighbor policy

-Not here to be parental figures

-Disenfranchisement and outreach

-Taking back control of park

-Talk to higher enforcement agencies b/c these are civil rights issues

-This is very positive b/c we are here and we are working on solutions.

-Frustrating yet positive, heading in the right direction, will work with Logistics on good neighbor policy.

Consensus to Adjourn

-

Share

General Assembly 1/29/12

Jenny- moderator

Craig- facilitator, timer

Nick- facilitator, stacker

Alice- stacker

Maria- scribe

[There was a national conference held here in town by Healthcare NOW.  We had around 25 people from that conference come to our GA.  Several were also from Occupy of their respective city.]

Work Group Report Backs

Web -Mouse- Oakland has an Action, went to 2 closed buildings YMCS & Convention Center, couldn’t get in.  Then went to City Hall where 2 people got in.  But people were kettled and 300 people got arrested.

Logistics – Jen-

Food WG:  Don’t have food prep ability.  Therefore need meals & snacks –hot or cold- to be brought in already prepared. Working on a calendar so that people can sign up for bringing out prepared meals. Needed Items list updated recently.

Peacekeeping WG:  need volunteers for 2 shifts:  11pm – 2am & 2am – 6am.  Contact Jenny to sign up for any volunteer &/or food.

Working on resources for homeless outreach.

Announcements:

Margaret – here on Healthcare conference, also from Occupy DC invites us to join ODC Actions: March 30,2012 -  start gathering. April 6 thru 20, 2012 – Two weeks of direct action. April 7 thru 14, 2012 – Social Forums, Education Workshops. May 1, 2012 -  National Work Stoppage Day on  May Day, International Worker’s Day. Looking for other Occupys to sign up for solidarity.

See their website www.NOWDC.org.  Register with InterOccupy http://interoccupy.org/nowdccall/  if you want to join them in organizing events in DC.

Forums cover ‘what works’- Skills to learn to organize. Second half of April Congress returns to DC & ODC wants to ‘welcome’ them. After May 1st they will leave to Chicago for the G8 Actions there.

Sandy – distributes Revolution Newspaper. Movement is people standing up to change discourse in society & standing up to injustice.  She read statement and asked for people to sign.

See statement “A Call for Mass Action Against the Suppression of the Occupy Movement” at http://www.revcom.us/i/257/CallSigners.pdf  To sign it you have to email the address at the bottom of doc. and give them your name and group with whom you are associated: Ocupy Houston or other group or none.

Question of an action to show support for Oakland.  See Alicia to sign up for this shotenmelendez@gmail.com.

Jenny- Contact Jenny if you want to volunteer for a 2 hour time slot for ‘having a presence at park’ either at lunch time or after work.

 

Proposals:

Alice proposes statement that OH stands in solidarity with NOW DC in Occupy Power by going in April to DC.  See NOWDC.org for minutes of ODC.

Request for more info before passing proposal.

Opinion:

Following people are here on Healthcare for All National Conference, and are also from other Occupy groups

They would like to raise issue of healthcare as an Occupy issue, encourage OH to work on this ourselves as well as create cooperation with them in their respective Occupy cities to work together.

Brad – from Occupy New Orleans wants to thank OH for hosting

Lisa – from Occupy L.A.  She does conferences on Healthcare

Katie & Laurie from OWS   Raise issue of healthcare for the 99% & need for Occupy to work on this issue for all regardless of employment or marital status.

Kay – from Occupy Philadelphia also wants to raise issue of Occupy to bring attention to this issue and work on it.

*All of them want to encourage OH to work with them on healthcare issue.

Shere – Thanks to all who distributed OH Newspaper. Downtown Houston is waiting for everyone to go to work Monday morning and read all about #OH.

Alice -  idea for action for those home free.  Protest by having people inhabit tents in park.  This protests “No Structures” rule in Park  Need a lot of tents, perhaps 40, and people to inhabit tents. Alice mentions that you could be arrested, but we have Lawyers Guild for help. Jen points out that you can comply with police order to take it down & not be arrested. And that Ben Franklin has also raised issue of a tent action.

Courtney- presented talk on Healthcare Conference: It consisted of 135 people from 25 states and 52 organizations. Wants to do action against Health Insurance & Health for profit agencies. See Healthcareforalltexas.org for more info on organization and issues brought up at conference.  And for info on meetings here in Houston 2nd Thu 6-7:30pm St Pauls Methodist Church see website for all details.

Michael – did research on porta-potties to see if we could get one or more at Park.  He thinks easiest is to go to City Council mtg & ask for them. (Porta-potties in back of City Hall Annex have been removed.) If have to pay for them they cost$85/month and company would cllean them once a week.  Problem is that they would have to be available to everyone & that would increase the number and need for maintenance & cleaning.  We would need to buy disinfectant for seat use & tp. Suggestion was made that they could be locked and only used by OH. Jen says Logistics needs to work with Finance on this.

Consensus to adjourn

 

Share

Logistics Meeting 1/29/12

Newcomer welcome and Logistics description

Discussion of prioritizing the subgroups of logistics, what we need to work on first, deciding that food wg then peacekeeping need to be first priorities.

Still need update on volunteer calendar. Discussion about getting a list of volunteers who would be willing to take home donated items to prepare meals. In the meantime keeping focus on asking for pre-prepared dishes and snacks. Also, rebuilding our supply of info sheets to local food outlets and resources already present within the community (ex. Food Not Bombs and A Thousand Hills).

We need resource packets to give to newcomers. Chris will work on getting these.

Questions about Media and how to get involved.

Peacekeeping schedule discussed. We need volunteers. We decided to split it into shifts. The most important hours being between 11pm-6am. Shifts are from 11pm-2am & 2am-6am. Once we find the shifts to be covered, we’d like to hold a Peacekeeping Teach-in to train the new individuals stepping up for this role. If you’d like to volunteer, contact Jenny.

Next Logistic Meeting- Wed 6pm

Share

Logistics Meeting 1/26/12

About 15 in attendance

Points of Contact- recorded

Mission statement- still working on

WePay- Brought up idea of starting a new WePay if the other one cannot be accessible. Everyone agrees to this. Later in the evening, Finance was able to meet and discuss this issue. Resolved.

Schedule for shifts at Tranquility- Everyone wrote down availablility. Should be ready by next meeting.

Getting Tranquility back in order- discussed thoroughly. It is understood that Tranquility represents the physical aspect of #OH and we need to take pride and personal responsibility to keep it in order. Still need to discuss more solutions.

Food schedule- Mary has been working on making a spreadsheet where people can go and volunteer different times to bring prepared food. This is a great way to help the public be able to organize and know when there is a need. Also to help occupiers know when we need to be available for serving times.

Peacekeeping- We need more volunteers and training discussions for the Peacekeeping WG. Discussion over how other occupations are resolving their issues.

Call for donations- discussed, deciding that we are not prepared to handle a full operating kitchen. We ask that donations of unprepared food are not brought out. Snack items (ex. fresh fruit, trail mixes) and already made food is the only thing we can really take at this point. There is not enough electrical power or volunteers to prepare meals at the park. Also decided and admitted that reusable dishes are not the way to go right now b/c we have no way to take care of them.

It was decided that we need to rebuild, but start small. Baby steps. Waterproof, Lockable totes/tool boxes are an immediate need. We would like to have one for medical, one for info table, and 2 for the food station. One to hold snacks and food items, the other for plates, silverware, and paper goods.

There was talk of assigning each person their own dishes and making them be responsible for them by a numbering system. Could not be decided on.

Talk of getting a welcome packet for new occupiers.

Discussion of why the physical occupation is important to each of us.

We will have another Logistics meeting Sunday at 4:00 pm.

 

Share

General Assembly Minutes 1/10/12 PM

This meeting was in Open Discussion format. We had an attendance of about 20 people, in and out, throughout the meeting time. Since there were no Work Group Report Backs or proposals to be made, we decided on Open Discussion to talk about event planning.

We spoke of upcoming events for the MLK Day Parade. various offers by other groups to march with them. Plans on helping build floats. Miguel is working on a re-enactment of either a march or of speeches by Dr. King.

We also started brainstorming ideas for an Anti-War for Profit March. Tentatively deciding on Feb 14th as the day of action. More details to come.

We had several new faces join the discussion. There was a man who is now going to look into getting copies of the Herman Will so we can find the details of what the land was originally planned to be used for.

Theresa came into the discussion later, after dropping off supplies (tarps and food), and brought some great info on the International Fest and Argentina. Jenny volunteered to get ahold of friends in Argentina and try to start communications between protesters in Argentina, organizers of I-Fest, and Occupy Houston.

Remington is going to be coordinating an event, with Jacob, and will get back to us with details. Remington also filled us in on details about his Sheriff campaign. He also informed us that he is counting on Occupiers to let him know if he is getting off track.

Discussions also came up about getting together a mock Marshmallow War with the Tea Party to open up lines of communication between the groups.

Share